The Whimsical World of Argus

Saturday, March 15, 2008

While @ London...

A recent report in the Straits Times, highlighted how plans for a local university to squeeze 3 people into rooms designed for 2 has caused an uproar among its students who yearn for a better living environment, where there can be more privacy and a higher level of hygiene.

That led me to create a special write-up here, which aims to showcase my wonderful living environment at different halls of residence all over Central London. The halls are at 4 different locations where I put up at, while on a global student exchange programme at the LSE.

Most of the halls truly offer a world class living environment expected of a top-tier university; such as LSE.

Why so many rooms? Well, I had wanted to experience living in different parts of London, and I must say moving from one room to the next had not been easy; considering that I had so many things to lug around. Nevertheless, the experience was an invaluable one, worth reliving. It must be noted that LSE's halls of residence are located at various prime locations in Central London given its city campus.


Bankside Residence, London School of Economics
This hall is in a swanky part of London, it's behind the renowned Tate Modern and minutes away from The City (they call it THE CITY; London's Business district; one of the world's financial hubs).

Northumberland House, London School of Economics
The is LSE's most posh and expensive hall, it is located near the West End; London's ritziest place. This hall of residence has been converted from a grade 1 building (buildings of historic value worth conserving), and turned into the ritzy and hotel-like Northumberland Hall. Moments away from prime attractions like Buckingham Palace and the National Art Gallery; a room at this hall of residence is truly coverted.

King's Hall, King's College London
This hall of residence belongs to King's College (another renowned British university), hence, I was expecting it to be in a better location. Not to mention, it was in a pretty nasty side of town (I honestly had a culture shock); the South of London...Nevertheless, this hall is tucked away in a neat and leafy neighbourhood on Champion Hill, and the room is of a decent size for a single occupant.

Rosbery Hall, Myddleton Annex, London School of Economics
This has got to be my favourite hall and favourite room, I have the fondest memories here at this hall. It is also where I stayed the longest. It was here I got acquainted with really nice Americans, and Indians who introduced me to masala and premium beer at bargained prices! And tipsy beaver; the LSE mascot's drunken cousin.

Rosebery Hall, London School of Economics
I stayed at this old hall of residence temporarily for a night (before the start of school), before moving to the new wing at Myddleton Annex. Do not fret, obviously this is temporary...2 beds squeezed into a room meant for one, just so they can accomodate me and my roomie.

3 Comments:

  • Hey I'm glad I read your blog, I'm going to study at LSE for the summer and I was trying to decide where to stay. Picked Myddelton! Is there anything else you can tell me about what to expect, see, do etc in London this time of the year. Will there be good number of students that I can meet?

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:09 PM  

  • buy tramadol free shipping tramadol with vicodin - tramadol high booze

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:45 PM  

  • [url=http://louboutinshop.co.uk]christian louboutin shoe sale[/url] Born in Guyana and reared in Miramar, Fla., where his father, a Saudi-Yemeni cleric now deceased, preached hard-line Wahhabism at a small mosque, el-Shukrijumah took computer classes at Broward Community College in Florida. [url=http://dkgoose.com]Canada Goose Parka[/url] Gtslyipie [url=http://canadagoosesweden.com]canada goose jacka[/url]
    dwnpfy 403646 [url=http://www.canadagoosestorontofactory.ca]goose information for kids[/url] 769796 [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkas.ca]canada goose jackets price[/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


insurance broker
insurance broker Counter